Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Almost Kidnapped

Claire woke up crying at 3:30 last night.
As I gave her the binky, I glanced over to see Grace sleeping,
but Grace wasn't in her bed.
I doubted my nighttime vision and checked again.
Still, she wasn't there.
So I looked on the floor by her bed and then all around her room.
No sign of Grace.
I had an empty feeling inside.
In disbelief, I woke up Paul.
We began searching the house.
Not in her room. Not in the hall.
Not in the bathroom or in Millie's room.
Not in the living room, or the kitchen.
We checked the sliding door--locked.
Not downstairs, in the garage, or out with the bunny.

All I could think of was Elizabeth Smart's abduction,
and how cute Grace is. Of course someone would want her!
She's adorable!

Then I walked back in to our bedroom
and turned on the light.
There she was!
Sprawled out on the floor, right by our bed.
What a relief!
I must have walked right by her twice!

As we got back in bed, we felt a huge sense of gratitude for our sweet Gracie. We felt for a few minutes how it would feel to lose her, and we want to do all we can to keep her safe and with us forever.

1 comment:

Canadian Princess said...

I seriously almost had a heart attack just reading this post...I can only imagine how you felt when you thought she was gone. The world can be such a scary place...thank goodness for the gospel!

And I enjoyed reading your thoughts on your anniversary...just last night I looked at my little family and thought how it's almost like a dream that Chris and I have two precious little children... it's so neat to think back at when we were dating and to think we had no idea the precious children we would be blessed with. I'm not sure i'm explaining myself very well, but hopefully you get the idea;)