Monday, April 18, 2011

Millie's First (official) Violin Lesson

This may or may not be a monumental picture. Millie has had some lessons from me over the past year, but last month we started going to "Miss Missy" for lessons.


In all the years I have taught violin, I never realized how difficult it is for the mothers! I have a ton of questions, like "Should I really start her this early?" "How strict should I be with her practicing?" "How do I motivate her to want to practice?" "Is it bad to reward her with candy to bribe her to practice?" and knowing all the work it entails, "Can I really do this?"

When I'm the teacher, I know the answers. But now as the parent, I am clueless! But for now, my philosophy is: 1. I will encourage, but I am not going to make her practice 2. I don't want to stop her from being a child by making her life too structured and too busy for play 3. Keep it fun! 4. I don't have to know at this point if this will be her thing in life--I can take it one day at a time

Having said that, Millie is a cute little violinist! She has a perfect bowgrip! And she picks up on things pretty naturally. But really, she can be good at anything she sets out to do because she is very determined. She will work and work and work until she accomplishes her goals. What a wonderful trait!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I love your comments about know what to do as a teacher but being clueless as a mother. Perspective is so fascinating. Being a mother is like walking a tightrope. You love the child and are anxious to do what is best for her. As you teacher you are focusing on the skill you want learned.