I'm grateful this Easter weekend to have a real reminder of how wonderful Christ's resurrection really is.
A young man I knew, Cameron Merrill, just passed away on Thursday after battling cancer for over two years. I was Cameron's MTC teacher in 2001. Elder Merrill was kind, humble, friendly, and full of love. I was impressed by his maturity at a young age, and his great desire to do what was right in the sight of God. I knew he would be a remarkable missionary in Poland.
I only saw Cameron a couple times after his mission, but I noticed he was still a friend to all. He was optimistic about life and seemed to be doing well. He made me feel like a close friend, even though we didn't have much contact.
Just over a week ago, I heard that Cameron had been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and had little time to live. I learned that he was married 2 years ago, but had battled with cancer for that entire time.
For a few days, I felt sick about the sad news. I couldn't stop thinking of all the pain and heartache he had been through. I kept thinking of his young wife who knew she'd be a widow soon. I thought of all the potential that Cameron had for his future--such a good man that could do so much good. But for some reason, the Lord was allowing him to have a shorter path on Earth. He was forced to prepare sooner for his return to his Maker. He had gone through a faster refiner's fire, that must have given him the chance to prepare.
When I heard of his tragic illness a week ago, I decided that I would call him. I figured out how I would get his number, but that's as far as I got. I didn't realize I needed to act fast. I missed my chance to tell him how grateful I was for his example and friendship.
But I know that beyond the sadness and loss that all who know him must feel, we can have hope to see him again. We can know that his spirit lives on, and is in Paradise. He has passed his earthly test, and one day his spirit will reunite with his perfect, glorified body--free of cancer and pain. This gift has been given to all people--good and bad.
On the first Easter morning, two thousand years ago, Christ overcame death and rose from the grave. He is the reason we celebrate Easter. He brings new life and hope to all.
3 comments:
I'm feeling your same pain, Jen. A sister in our ward was killed last night on Hwy 89 outside of Camelot. I watched her sing in sacrament meeting yesterday and now she's gone. Gone, but not gone. We'll all see her again. I'm especially grateful for the miracle of the resurrection that will make it all possible to be with each other again.
Life is fragile. Beautiful and fragile. I'm feeling that today-- sorrow for loss and gratitude for the gift of the gospel that helps me to know this life is not the end of life.
Jen-
Cameron was in our ward and had such a powerful effect on everyone! He was so amazing. Every time he saw JR and Connor, he would get a HUGE grin on his face and say, "Hi Buddy." He certainly will be missed, but how wonderful that we have the knowledge of the Restored Gospel! I'm sure that you touched his life as much as he touched yours. We love you!
Love,
Amanda
I just came across his obituary in the paper yesterday - stopped and read it because he looked so young. He seemed like such a wonderful young man. May the Lord grant peace to all those who love and miss him (including YOU).
Post a Comment