Monday, March 23, 2009

Success in the bread department...finally!

When we got married over 3 years ago, I honestly did not know how to cook or bake anything. I'm still very new at it all, and I find myself pleased if I just do something creative in the kitchen before Paul gets home. I hope one day to be a great "mother" chef. Thank goodness for Paul's patience with my cooking skills!

My latest endeavor has been homemade bread. I've been making bread all winter long, but I've only been trying one recipe so that I could get it right (It's the recipe the church gives on ProvidentLiving.org). In fact, one day, I got a little confident, so I invited a friend over to teach her how to make it, and our bread turned out looking awful! She said it tasted okay, but I was a little discouraged.

Then a few months ago, I ended up with some awesome loaves. Every time we ate a piece, Paul and I would talk about how good it was. But I couldn't ever figure out what I had done differently, so I haven't seen anything like it again...until today!

Since I finally got my dream loaves back (and who knows if I'll ever get any like this again), I thought I'd take a few pictures and celebrate! I was so excited when I peeked into the oven to see these beautiful things. They are tall, light, fluffy, moist and delicious! I can't stop eating it!

I think the trick lies in using only 5 cups wheat flour and 3 white flour, and then letting it rise twice--once on the counter, and then again in a heated (but turned off) oven. Too bad they aren't as healthy as the 100% whole wheat.

Anyone want to make homemade bread with me? I'm becoming a big fan of it. Or, if you have a favorite bread recipe, send it my way. I want to branch out a little more.

11 comments:

Audrey said...

I love making bread! I think all the kneading is a good way of getting out some aggression!!

My grandma taught me how last October, and a few months ago I finally started getting consistently nice loaves. I'd love to do it together! Let me know when!

gina said...

That bread looks so great!! Good job!!

Veronica said...

Baking bread really is an art that you have to practice at! I think any time you use yeast it can be tricky because it has to have the PERFECT conditions! I found a white bread recipe that I LOVE. Not as healthy as wheat, but it tastes sooooo good with some butter or jam. I'll send you that recipe.

Sarah said...

I made bread today too. It is all white flour and very tasty. I'll have to share the recipe with you. We'll definitely have to do a bread making date.

Canadian Princess said...

Looks great...and sadly I agree about not using all wheat flour. I've been trying to master my bread making skills since January and have been having fun with it. I've got a great Egg bread recipe and am actually starting a recipe blog as a way to share our recipes so it'll be on there. I haven't posted any recipes yet as it's a work in process, but have just been working on some today so they'll be up real soon! www.couplethatcooks.blogspot.com

paulandjenthatcher said...

I never comment on my own posts, but I just have to say that it's fun to see that so many others are making bread too! I love it! Wouldn't it be fun to have a "bread" party and test a bunch of recipes all at once?

Mike and Erika said...

Hey I make my own bread also. I try to be consistent but, it seems I haven't found my all time favorite recipe yet. We need to have a party for sure.
I switched my blog to a private blog and I would love to invite you to it. It you could email me your address that would be great. mschwitzer1@comcast.net

Tara said...

Your bread looks yummy! Learning how to bake bread is on my to do list. We got a nice bread maker a few years ago and I still need to put it to use!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks yummy, great job Jen, it is hard to make bread, I am still learning too, my mom is teaching me. My mom taught me how to make really yummy Sefta-Swiss braided bread-Paul knows about it because Grandma Winnie Johnson use to make it too,maybe you do too, and by the way Jill Dickey our cousin; posted about Sefta bread before so you could look on her blog if you want to see what it looks like, really yummy rolls too and she has another bread recipe, let me know if you want any of those recipes. Thanks for sharing and I love you
love your cousin
Mels

Emily + Eric said...

Mels beat me to the punch! I was going to comment on Setfa as well. It's amazing & definitely a staple at the Stauffer home.

Karene said...

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but just in case...a few years ago when I started trying to make bread, it always turned out dense and hard as a brick. I found out that the type of wheat you use makes a big difference...do you use red wheat or white wheat? When you use red wheat you have to add white flour to help it turn out, but if you use hard white wheat you can do 100% wheat flour and still have great loaves. That little bit of info has been very handy for me.

This bread looks beautiful!!