- On my first date with Paul, I knew I would marry him
- Paul and I went on a trip together before we were married
- Paul never asked my dad for permission to marry me
- Our engagement was only 5 weeks long
- We spent less than $2000 total on wedding costs (excluding rings)

Here are the answers:
1. False! This one was my lie! We met on a blind date, and I was VERY impressed with Paul. But we both had a bit of a struggle trying to make the decision. In fact, we almost broke up one weekend--we both still get sick when we think of that awful weekend.
2. Yes, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that we went on a road trip together before getting married or engaged. I had been back and forth on the decision to get married, even though Paul had a ring to propose. When we talked about going down to Arizona to see our friends, my parents said it might help me know if I should marry him. They were right! It was exactly what we needed.
The minute we began the drive, Paul said something like, "Well, we have a lot of time in this car...I want you to tell me all about your life. You can start from the very beginning and include every detail. I don't care if it takes the entire 12 hours." What girl wouldn't love this? I talked for 4 hours about my life. Then it was his turn. His was a lot shorter, but still very interesting. We enjoyed our time together so much and didn't get sick of being together. We both felt so sure of our decision to get married that we ended up getting engaged while we were there, on the lawn outside the Arizona Temple.
3. Paul would have asked my dad for permission, but my dad was just so anxious for "the talk" that he had already planned out three questions he was going to ask Paul. The talk went well, but afterward, Paul admitted that he never really got to ask the question...it was just an understood "YES!" My parents absolutely loved Paul and still do.
4. A five week engagement was just fine for us. Once we knew it was right, we weren't waiting around. My mom had already helped to plan 4 other weddings (my four younger siblings) in the previous 10 months, so she was ready to go!
5. We were so blessed financially to have resources and help for the wedding, and were shocked at how little we had to spend. Both receptions were beautiful and the wedding was absolutely a dream come true. I wouldn't have changed a thing, even if I had another $10,000 to spend.
5 comments:
That was so fun to read! You two are so perfect for each other!
It is fun to hear the stroy from your side I heard about from your dad when he was my professor he always told me about the Jen and Paul in his family. SO crazy that we moved into the same ward after that.
Jen,
So fun to hear a bit about your "love story"! I've been meaning to check in and say hello for months after you commented on my blog--I peaked at yours, but at the time I rarely had two hands free! So now I'm checking in with you again...
Congrats on your thesis being published! Sounds like a great topic--I'll have to try to get the full version.:) I am truly amazed by you!
Thanks for always being such a great example to me! I've always looked up to you and the way you live your life. I feel like the Lord blessed me for having the opportunity to cross paths with you for a short time.
It's fun to read about your love of being a mother--it's nice to be reminded that it is wonderful to be able to focus on the simple things in life. You have a darling family!
--Amy (Gerritsen) Sonntag
i decided to marry Tony after we took a trip cross country! I was wishy-washy, but after 24 hours in the car with him, i wanted to spend eternity with him!!
Yea for Jen and Paul! (and the managers at Canyon Terrace, right? :)
Have I commented on your blog before? I've meant to, but don't know if I have (don't always have much time...). Anyway, I peak in at your family now and then and love to read what you're up to. I appreciated your comment on the RS broadcast. I've been thinking lately about some things I'd like to do better personally and in our family.
And congrats on getting published!! I still think back on your visits with us when Den was born. (I need them with every child!!)
Post a Comment