Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Is My Home a "Sacred Sanctuary"?

I was so grateful for the chance to attend the General Relief Society Meeting of the LDS Church this past Saturday night. The beautiful conference center was packed with women who wanted to hear the Lord's servants and know the Lord's counsel for them. All of the talks were wonderful and the music so inspiring. If you were unable to attend it, here is the link where you can read or listen to the talks.

One of my favorite quotes was from the RS President, Julie B. Beck:


"Children being born now are growing up in an increasingly sinful world. Our homes are to be their refuge from the daily encounters they have with evil. Relief Society should be organized, aligned, and mobilized to strengthen families and help our homes to be sacred sanctuaries from the world."

When I heard this, I thought of my little girls in a different way. I thought of their innocent, young spirits that came from Heavenly Father's presence not long ago. I realized that when they encounter harsh music, violent and vulgar television shows, or even conversation that is not edifying, they are innately sensitive to that. I don't want them to become desensitized to the evils in our world. As a mother, I want to be more careful to make our home a sacred place where they can feel the Spirit and feel sheltered from the world.

Feeling the Spirit at that meeting has helped me to get excited for General Conference this weekend. I hope I can make the effort to really focus and listen to the talks, while enjoying the comforts of home and family.

3 comments:

Veronica said...

That same quote stuck out to me too. I just want to take my sweet babies and put a bubble around them, ya know??

gina said...

That entire meeting was great. It is such a huge responsibility to protect these little ones isn't it? It is easy to get discouraged when I think I'm not doing as well as I should be. I'm thankful for wonderful leaders that inspire us for good. I can't imagine raising children in the world without the gospel. We are blessed.

Heidi and Ben Daniel said...

Thanks for posting the link. I wasn't able to go, so I'm really excited to go to that website and listen to them.