You never know if anyone will dig through library files to find and read your thesis. And sadly, even when it is published, you never really know if anyone will read it, let alone agree with the study, although the chances are greater. So, since I know a few people read this blog, I thought I better make a big deal of it on here, otherwise, it may get forgotten.
Here's the title and link, but you have to pay if you want to read any more than the abstract. Hey, if you are really interested in reading it or my thesis, I can get you a copy.

. David C. Dollahite and Jennifer Y. Thatcher. Journal of Adolescent Research 2008 23: 611-641.
I loved Paul's conversation with Millie the day we received the published version:
"Millie, did you know that Mommy wrote a book?" (Millie's easy answer) "Yeah."
"Millie, did you know that Mommy is really smart, and that she could be making a lot of money working each day...but she decided that she wants to be home with you and Gracie? Isn't that nice?" (Millie, with a big grin) "Yeah."
Paul, thanks for reminding me I'm really smart and worth a lot! Sometimes stay-at-home moms need to be reminded just how smart and talented and capable they really are. Some days it just doesn't feel like it!
I used to joke that I went to school to get a MS, but while I was there, I got my MRS, and a week after I finished, I got my MOM degree. The second and third are the best, but I'm grateful for the first one too.
10 comments:
Congratulations! I am so happy for you. If you check out our blog, Ryan's "book" is sitting on the coffee table. One of the gifts from his cooperating professor is that he publishes each of his students' theses as a hard cover book. I'm sure your real book will have a much larger readership than just the guests in our home. Nice job!
I'm a friend of Paul's but I want to tell you congratulations and thank you for being a mom first! My wife does the same and its the greatest blessing in our lives. So while congratulations on this article, 10 times the congratulations on the living book you are writing with your children.
Jen!! That is amazing! I'm so impressed and proud of you. How cool that you can say for the rest of your life that you've written a book that was published. That is really really awesome! :)
That's awesome. Good for you! I had no idea! You are definately a woman of many talents!
Wow that is way cool that you have a book out there that people could read. What a great accomplishment. You are truly an amazing mom and woman.
Not to burst your bubble, but you probably won't read your book again either. :) I haven't looked at my thesis since it was published (and I have no desire to). Your topic is much more exciting than mine though.
It is great that you can be a mom. What a great and challenging work you do every day!
CONGRATS to you!!
Congrats, Jen. I got the whole copy since I'm a student at the U, and I look forward to reading it.
I think my wife is amazing, too. I can't believe the things my son knows, and it's not because of me—she's one of the best teachers I've ever known.
What an awesome achievement. It will always make you feel so good that you did something so difficult. I LOVE Paul's remark about YOU. That is really cool. You will do great things... even beyond raising your children (which is the GREATEST thing) but you will have many, many years after they are grown. I'm sure we will see your name on a few more covers!
Post a Comment