Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Date Night Is NOT Supposed to be Like This

Why do we have to keep re-learning this lesson?

We had a good reminder that we need a date every week. Thanks, President Coleman! It was my turn to plan our Friday night date. "Let's just take the girls with us to dinner...It will be fun for them to get out" We've tried and failed with that before, but they are so much more grown up now.

China Star sounded good. Never been there before. They had beautiful big fish for the girls to look at. Everything went well until we had to sit at our table. Luckily there weren't many people there yet. The girls were squirming, screaming, and begging to go see the fish again. The water and wantons keep them happy for a few more seconds, but we quickly gave in and went to visit the fish tank again. This is where Paul and I actually got in a quick "love you so much...so glad to be on a date with you, sweetheart!" conversation (which turned out to be the only conversation we got with each other).

The food came and we sat down to eat. Gracie ate a little. Millie didn't like it--big surprise? We tried all our tricks to get her to eat, but with no success. Paul held Grace and tried to keep her happy while still managing to eat. My task was to keep Millie sitting down and somewhat quiet. The restaurant had a lot more people now. Millie kept leaning over to the table behind us. I thought that was harmless until she said loudly for all to hear, "I need to go poo-poo!" (over and over). Then there was more whining, crying, and a loud plate crashing down. I was SO happy to finally be leaving that place and SO embarrassed by our children.

Maybe this is why we struggle with date night. So, I've realized we either need to get a babysitter, get take-out, or go to Arctic Circle where the girls can play while I enjoy my hubby. Any other suggestions?

5 comments:

Veronica said...

Sounds just like OUR date nights. But one day you'll look back on it and miss these times!

gina said...

Sorry - but it doesn't count as a date if you have the kids with you. Or maybe it DOES - in that case we're in great shape - we never miss a week!

Gina said...

I second the other gina's thoughts. I don't think it really counts either! Try to swap with another couple if you can. The kids get to play with other kids and the other couple gets a break too.
Babysitters are dreamy but can be pricey!

mhambster said...

I agree with gina and Gina. You can't call it a date if you have the kids with you. It's great, and important for the girls, to go out as a family and learn restaurant manners, but it's even more important for you and Paul to have time to remember that when you started out, it was because you were great as husband and wife, and that your roles as such haven't been subsumed by being mom and dad. The roles complement each other. I don't think they're supposed to be absorbed one into the other.
Gina's suggestion of swapping kids with another couple is really a great idea, too. You either go every other week, or you go on different days. That's what we try to do.
But with Paul as bishop, wow, work hard to spend alone time together. It will pay off for you and the girls.

Bonnie Wayne said...

Hi Jen -thought I would chime in - its been fun seeing how cute your family is.

Speaking from a cheapskate-dont-want-to-pay-a-babysitter mom, we rotate with 3 other families to do a babysitting co-op. Each Fri night, 1 couple takes ALL the kids (12 in our case) and the other 3 couples go on a date night. The kids LOVE it. It is a bit crazy on the night to watch the kids, but three worry free weeks to have a date night is HEAVEN!