Thursday, March 5, 2009

Our Trip to the Emergency Room


Yesterday morning, Millie was acting normal, but tired. Still, she insisted that we go to playgroup at the church. So we went, but she wanted me to hold her the whole time and she fell asleep in my arms (the first time ever!).

When we got home, I noticed she had the chills and a fever of 1o2. 7, so I gave her some Ibuprofen. She just lay limp on the couch. I tried to talk with her, but I was getting no response. She was staring at me but wouldn't say a word. Then she just stared up at the ceiling. I got worried, so I called Paul to tell him that I was going to call the doctor. While I was talking with him, I looked over and Millie was foaming at the mouth, but lifeless on the couch. I hung up, ran over to her, and picked up her limp, pale body. Her eyes were back and over. While I called 911, her eyes closed and she wouldn't respond. She was still breathing heavily and I could feel her heart beating rapidly. 911 sent an Ambulance. Paul was on his way home.

It took the ambulance a few minutes to arrive. They asked a lot of questions, checked her out, and then said she would need to go for a little ride. She was still unconscious and shaking. Her heart rate was at 200. I was still in shock, and didn't know whether to wait for Paul or ride with her. I decided to wait for Paul, since I still had Grace. A few friends saw the ambulance and came running over. They told me to go in the ambulance, and that they would take Grace. But I refused, since the ambulance was pulling away and Paul was so close. I totally regretted this later! I wish I would have gone with her!

Our friend took Grace and we headed to Primary Children's. That ride took forever! It was so hard not knowing how Millie was doing. We had no way to contact her or the paramedics. All we could do was drive, pray and call our family to ask for their prayers. We imagined the worse, but hoped and prayed for everything to be alright.

It was such a relief to walk into the Emergency Room and find Millie with her eyes open. She looked scared and traumatized. The nice nurse and doctor were trying to get her to talk, but with no success. We couldn't even get her to talk for over an hour. She only said about 10 words the entire 5 hours at the hospital. She would only nod her head, and even then, it just didn't seem like Millie. Even when we talked to her about her younger sister, she just gave us a blank stare as if she didn't remember Grace. It was a little scary, but the doctor said that's normal for a little while after a seizure.

As soon as he got a chance, Paul gave Millie a Priesthood blessing. It was simple and brief. But we were so relieved as we exercised our faith once again in her behalf. We knew that Heavenly Father was watching over her. We also felt the power of the prayers being offered by family members.

We relished the time in the hospital with Millie. We felt so grateful to have her still! We read her books, told her stories, cuddled with her on that uncomfortable hospital bed, tried to explain what had happened to her, and comforted her when she was being "poked." We tried to get her to take liquids, but everything came back up. She went through 3 pairs of hospital underwear. Thank goodness for IVs!

The initial diagnosis was a seizure, but it was hard to know how severe it was, and what caused it. After many tests, including a CT scan, they concluded that she had a febrile seizure (fever induced seizure), and that no harm was done. We knew nothing about these seizures before this, but they are fairly common in children. Here's a link to read more about them

It was so nice to come home and find that Gracie was happy at our neighbor's home, a meal had been prepared for us, "get well" balloons were hanging on the porch, treats were delivered by caring neighbors, and many friends and family had contacted us to see if everything was okay. We felt so loved and cared for by everyone. Thank you!

Today, Millie is doing so much better. She was able to keep all her food down, and she ate a lot! I had to bribe her to take a bath (to get rid of the throw-up smell) because she didn't want any of her "special" band aids to come off. She had to wear her green swimsuit all day because it matches her green band aids. She and Gracie both insisted on wearing the yellow balloons around their wrists all day long. Oh, the simple pleasures!

21 comments:

Gina said...

Holy cow! How scary! I bet you were freaking out! I would have been. So glad she is okay!!!

Canadian Princess said...

Wow I'm so glad she's ok. What a scary experience for you to have to go through! Certainly makes you appreciate your blessings doesn't it! The only reason I'd ever heard of them is because Chris's youngest brother had one of them when he was little.

Margo said...

Oh Wow! I am so happy that she is doing okay. This would have definitely freaked me out. That is very scary but glad to hear that she got her appetite back. BTW I LOVE her green swim suit. She is so Adorable!

Lindsey said...

Oh, sooo scary! I am glad everything seems to be okay. We'll keep Millie on our prayers.

Audrey said...

How frightening! I'm so glad Millie is doing better now!

alisquire said...

That is so scary. I'm so glad that she's okay! I love the green swimsuit! That sounds so much like Ada.

Sarah said...

Poor Jen! This is every mother's nightmare! Oy! How long did it take for your heart rate to go back to normal? :o( So tough!

I'm so glad that Miss Millie is doing well. What a relief. I'm so glad that this has a happy ending. I'll be so glad when it's really truly Spring and all the junk sicknesses that keep going around are gone for awhile!

Hang in there!

Veronica said...

I have been so scared for y'all since I head about this yesterday!! I am in tears as I read this. No parent should have to experience that kind of fear! I'm so glad everything is okay. We did some praying for y'all last night.

Natasha Ireland said...

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry you had to deal with that but am so happy it turned out ok. what a sweet little girl.... we are so glad she is ok. Miss u guys.

gina said...

How scary for you all! You poor thing... thank goodness she is alright. I need to read more about that. Hope she is feeling better now and that YOUR heart rate is back to normal!

Melissa said...

Gosh, that's so scary!! You did amazing and handling everything so well. Hope it never happens again!

Ute Family said...

I am so sorry...I had no idea this happened. I'm SOOO glad everything ended up being ok. That must have been quite a scare. She's adorable in her swimsuit. Kids are so resilient arene't they?! Glad she's happy and smiling!

Missy said...

I have been meaning to call you and see how everything was. I am so glad that you updated your blog. I had to take a ride in an ambulance with Ellie when she was 18 months old. It was terrifying.

Ashley said...

Glad to hear that Millie is doing well again! That sounds way scary! It sounds like it was a lot more complicated to do the whole ambulance thing with more than one child to worry about.

Shawna said...

I had a fever induced seizure when I was an infant, and just look how I turned out! Perfect! :) I'm glad that it wasn't worse.

Chrissy said...

We are so glad to hear that Millie is okay!! We are praying for her. We love you guys.

Emma said...

So glad that she is okay. I'm sad that we were out of town and not there to offer comfort and relief. What a blessing that she is well. How scary for you though.

Mike and Erika said...

I am glad to hear that eveything is okay with Millie! You must have had a million things going on in your head that day. I am glad that it is nothing too serious!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to haer Millie is doing better! Thanks for letting us know and that sounds liek it was a scary experience. Love you
Love
Mels

Suzanne said...

We are sooo glad everything is okay now. How scary for all of you!! We love you all :)

HDH. said...

Oh my goodness! I almost cried just reading this. I'm glad everything is okay now! Poor Millie! Poor you!