
Our little one arrived on December 4th at 6:39. We were convinced it was a boy, so we really did get a surprise when she came out. She weighed 7 lbs. 8 oz. and was 21 inches long.
Here's the story:
We got a good dose of false labor this week. On Saturday night, Jen had regular contractions for 7 hours. So we called Grandma, who quickly came down from Cache Valley to get the girls. Paul canceled all his Sunday meetings, and we got ready to go to the hospital to deliver. That's when the contractions stopped! We had a quiet Sunday together, just sure we'd be going into the hospital any minute, but the contractions never started up again. So we got the girls back on Monday morning and went back to our routine life, preparing for the baby to come.
Then on Wednesday night, Jen had stronger contractions for a few hours, so we headed in to the hospital, excited and sure we wouldn't return without the baby. They admitted us, but then sent us home after an hour, saying that the contractions weren't putting me into labor. It was discouraging to drive back home at 5:00 am, after another sleepless night, especially since Jen's contractions were even more painful than before. We wondered if we'd really know when it was the right time to head to the hospital. Even though the contractions continued all day Thursday, we were able to sleep well that night, and then head into LDS hospital Friday morning to be induced.
During labor, it was uncanny how everything that could go wrong did. Jen had to get 4 IVs and 4 epidurals (none of which worked!), and then delivered completely natural. The baby came so fast that the Doctor almost didn't make it back for the delivery. She had to leave another delivery and made it just a minute before the baby came. We were so grateful that the baby came safely and that Jen survived the unexpectedly difficult labor.
We enjoyed a few hours just holding our darling little girl, feeling so grateful she was healthy and safe. That night though, a nurse popped her head into our room, and told us that they had sent Claire into the "Special Care Nursery" to monitor her more carefully because she had not been breathing correctly on her own. Then a few hours later, a Dr. came in to our room to talk to us about his concerns with Claire's behavior. They began antibiotics and tests, trying to find out why she would be struggling to breathe at times.
We've had to stay at the hospital a couple days longer to do these tests, but we haven't felt worried or concerned. Claire seems to be healthy, and we are hopeful that everything will be fine. But seeing her covered with monitors and IVs, and hearing all the possible problems she could have, has helped us empathize with others who have had children in the hospital. We thought we'd be able to go home this morning, but we had a talk with the Dr. and it looks like 2 more days here at least. This was disappointing, but we're trying to look at the positive side of things.
Millie and Gracie have been happy at Grandma and Grandpa's but they can't wait to meet their little sister. They have been patient as the plan to go home and see the baby tomorrow keeps being pushed back a day. Every time we talk to Millie, she asks us if we are holding the baby. She has asked a couple times for us to send a picture of the baby coming out of mommy's tummy. She wants to know how that works, and since we haven't really answered her question, she would like a picture of it. Well, needless to say, none of those! But here are some pics of our darling girl!










21 comments:
I'm so happy about Miss Claire! I *love* all the names you've chosen for your girls, and they're all beautiful! I'm glad things are going well, even if a bit spotty and unplanned. Well done, Jen!
Oh she is beautiful! Congratulations to both of you. I'm sorry it was such an ordeal to get her here, but it sounds like all is well.
Can I just say that you two are great a picking names for your children. I LOVE the names you choose. Claire is such a pretty one. Love you guys.
She is so beautiful and precious, congratulations!! I love her name so sweet and girly. Sorry you had sucn a difficult labor, I had Mathias natural as well and it can get pretty intense in the end. Your story sounds like mine the doctor only made it in time to deliver the body I delivered the head on my own, hehe! Anyways, they are all worth it in the end. I am glad you are both well and so happy the girls are so excited to have a baby sister. Let me know if there is something I can help you with. I can come watch your girls while you nap :)
She is sooo beautiful!! Congratulations to you guys. Love her names so pretty. Glad that everything went well with the delivery. Hope that Baby Claire will feel better soon so her big sisters can finally see her. Raimana had the same problem when he was born and a couple of days later he was fine. If you need anything Jen please don't hesitate to call me okay? You guys take care.
She is Beautiful. Congrats and we hope and pray all goes well for you all.
Congratulations on another beautiful little girl! I'm so sorry to hear about Claire being kept for breathing problems! We went through that with Xavier, and it can be really tough on the whole family, even when you know she's going to be okay.
Please let me know if I can help with anything.
Congratulations!!! She is absolutely beautiful. I am sorry to hear that it has been rough start though. I can't wait to meet her in person. Take care of yourself, and little miss Claire.
Hi Jen... It's Darcie (Ellis) Boyack. Aimee Stewart's old roommate at BYU. I've been spying on your blog for a while... sorry it's taken a while to say hello :). I just wanted to congratulate you on little Claire's arrival. What a little sweetie.
I've been waiting for more pics & a name, of course, to add to your other classic ones:) proud of you for goin' all natural although didn't sound like the plan & certainly delayed...so sorry to hear about further complications for her as well, but sounds like you are peaceful & not getting any worse?! Have they been able to diagnose anything or has it seemed to resolve itself with addit time? Hopefully the latter & you can all get home to adjust to fam o' 5 & holidays around the corner...now you have 3 brides for my 3 sons:) if they don't mind older men?? wszystkiego najlepszego siost!
What a beautiful little girl!! Congratulations to both of you. I hope everything is going well. I would be more than happy to watch Grace and Millie if you ever need a little quiet time or a nap. Brody and Baylee would love to have some friends over to play so don't hesitate to call anytime.
She is beautiful! You've definitely had quite the week! I love her name! Hope she is doing great and that everything turns out okay!
Wow, she is beautiful! Congrats on having three girls, it must be much different than having 3 boys like us! I can't wait to hear that you are all home together. I hope Jen is getting some much needed rest.
What an adorable little girl! Congrats to your whole family. . .hope all goes well the next coming days and that you get to come home soon.
You go Jen! Good work! Love that you two will have three little girls. Miss Claire is beautiful! Hope all turns out well for her! We will keep you in our prayers. Please call or email if when we can help with anything!
Wow roller coaster, but glad its all good now. CONGRATS!!! My mission President had 5 girls he wanted a boy but now he gets to have 4 awesome son-in-laws :)
Claire is going to be adored by Gracie and Millie she is so cute.
Congrats! She's beautiful! Given your newest girl's name, are you a fan of the NieNie Dialogues (the blog)?
We're glad to hear that Claire is out of the hospital! Samuel says that Grace is getting really big and that both girls did really well on the violin playing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". They are budding musicians. :)
Congrats and welcome Claire, we are excited you are part of teh family! I can;t wait to meet Claire
love you
Mels
Congrats to your family. She is a beautiful baby and I am glad she will be able to come home soon.
CONGRATS on your baby girl!! She is so sweet just like your other two!! How fun to have sisters! I would like to join your babysitting co-op and the dinner group if I can! Also I'm going to try the walmart deals!! Thanks for the advice! I'm so happy for your beautiful family!
So cute! All your girls are darling:-) I am sorry to hear that things were so rough this time. I can truly empathize with you. I hope you are all home now and doing well.
Post a Comment