We finally made it to Fountain Green to see our dear Grandma Lucy. She hadn't met Claire yet, so we were long overdue! We've made it a tradition to sleep over there when we visit. That way, we get way more time with Grandma and the girls aren't worn out by the long drive.
Claire loved being held by Grandma. She was quite content on her lap, since Grandma knew how to keep her entertained with random things near her chair.
The girls re-lived my childhood for me by taking a bath in the old-fashioned tub. Oh the memories I have of that tub! I love it!
The girls sang and danced for Grandma, and rode on her electric chair up the stairs. They found all her candy jars and managed to get way more candy than they should have. The girls slept in the bunk bed room, and we got the special white room. After they fell asleep, we visited with Grandma until midnight! She is doing so remarkably well for her age. She is 94 years old, and still manages to care for herself. Her memory is still intact and she looks as if she could just keep going for many more years to come. She doesn't seem to feel that way, but she knows that ultimately, her life is in the Lord's hands.
I was impressed that at age 94, she sits in a chair most of the day, surrounded by books, magazines, scriptures, family history documents, letters, and a telephone. She is still busily trying to learn and accomplish all that she can while she still has time. It seems that there is even more urgency now than perhaps there was before. She had so much that she wanted to tell us, mostly pertaining to her ancestors in Canada. What a lesson for me! Am I urgently doing the things that will mean the very most when this life is over?
That Fountain Green home is just FULL of memories from my childhood, teenage, and adult life. I have many memories in each room. Since my parents moved so many times while we were growing up, I don't go home to a home full of memories from my childhood. Perhaps this is why I feel like I am "going home" when I visit the home in Fountain Green. I love that place! I'm grateful we can still go there, and so grateful that Grandma is still with us. She is very dear to us!
1 comment:
Yeah! I am so glad you have this as a tradition. Whenever I leave Grandma's house I feel so uplifted and absolutely loved! She's an amazing lady.
Post a Comment