Monday, February 28, 2011

Homemade Play-dough

I am a little ashamed to admit that in the 5 years I've been a mother, I have never made homemade play-dough. My excuses seemed legitimate: the homemade stuff had a strange consistency, bad colors, dries out fast, and calls for a strange ingredient that I wouldn't know where to find. So it was with a little hesitation that I tried out a recipe that was strongly recommended on one of my new favorite blogs (housewifeonfirewrites.blogspot.com). Luckily, that strange ingredient nowadays is just cream of tarter, and I happened to have some on hand. We had SO much fun mixing colors. Here's what we came up with:



We made fruit to trick daddy when he gets home from work...



And Millie gave her first haircut...




Claire loves demanding new colors and tools, and then throwing it all on the ground in a big mess. Today, she actually squeezed the playdough in her hands and rolled it out. She's getting the hang of if!




Recipe
1 cup white flour
1/4 cup of salt
2 tsps cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tbsp oil
food colouring

Mix flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a medium pot. Add water and oil. Cook and stir over medium heat (it will seem clumpy at first, but keep stirring and it will eventually turn out). When mixture forms a ball in the pot, turn out, knead, divide, add colors (I wore gloves while adding the colors), and play!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Jen,
I used to make this same recipe for the kids. It was by far the best one. I think the cooking made the difference. I never had such beautiful colors however. What kind of food coloring do you use? I think you may have some future sculptors on your hands.