Preparing your home for an earthquake:
- Make sure your water heater is secured to the wall (if not, there's a $12.00 kit at Home Depot)
- In the kitchen, put heavy and breakable things in the bottom cupboards, and light things up top (hmmm...obvious, but very opposite of what I've done)
- use the rubber grip stuff in your cupboards and under things that could slide and fall, such as a table microwave, tv, etc.
- Make a plan from each room of your house, of where you would go for the best shelter
- Make a plan of where your family members would meet if there were no communication after a disaster
What to do when it hits:
- If you are outside, stay outside. Get away from buildings or trees
- If you are inside, stay inside and get in a safe place--don't try to go up or down the stairs.
- I'm still not sure what the VERY best place to be is, but among the safest places in the home are: a center wall, hallway, closet, or a bathroom; under a sturdy table, or in a door frame (but watch for the door not to shut on you)
- The worst places to be inside: on the stairs, near a window, near an outer wall
- If you are near a window and can't move far, at least turn your head away from the window
- If you are driving, safely pull over if you can. You may have to leave your car and walk home. If you are on the freeway, do NOT abandon your car to walk home.
She had SO MUCH more information about preparedness, such as what to have in 72 hour kits, cars, etc. See www.BeReadyUtah.gov
3 comments:
Thanks for the reminder and link! We've been building up our food storage and 72 hour kits slowly but surely.
You are amazing. I've been thinking a lot about all of the things that seem to be getting a bit more important as this world is literally falling apart, such as food storage, 72 hr kits, 1st aid kits, etc. So thank you for helping me out. I will definately be going to that website for more info. You're awesome.
BTW, remember when you told me some girls' would be stopping by on a Friday a few weeks ago? Well, they never came. I hope I didn't miss their knock, but I was home all afternoon. Maybe they were too worried about waking Lydia up and I didn't hear. But my dog never barked so I didn't think they came. Anyway, sorry if I missed them. I just didn't want you to think that I flaked out on you!
Wow. I'm so glad I read that post. I didn't know many of those things. You just gave me next weeks FHE lesson. Thanks!!
Post a Comment