Monday, January 21, 2013

Fall Canning

I love preserving fruits and veggies at the end of the summer! My neighbor, Richelle, is always so ambitious with her canning. So I try to be a little more like her, without comparing myself too much.
Well, this was definitely my "off" year for canning (because of teaching at the BYU SL Center), but I managed to make freezer jam with some beautiful strawberries I found through the produce co-op (just $7 per crate). When I see the finished product, something inside me just has to grab the camera and preserve it even longer! Yum! 


We were also inspired my another friend, Criscell, to do a lot of dehydrating--peaches, apricots, strawberries, & pears. The girls love fruit leather, so that's what I ended up doing the most. We were blessed to receive a ton of free fruit! So much that I couldn't keep up with it all. We had to start turning it down. I learned that sometimes I just have to say "no" to another project, even when it's free fruit.  

It was almost a shame to see these luscious strawberries turn from this...




to this...


I don't know if I'd dry strawberries again. They were okay, but fresh and frozen are way better!

No comments: