Monday, January 21, 2013

First Day of School (times 5)

With year round school now, we had to send our Millie Mae back way too soon. Our summer felt so short! And for me, sending her to 1st was way harder than kindergarten. Her school days felt so long at first. We miss her a lot when she is gone.

Here's Millie on her first day of school. She gave me specific instructions on how to do her hair. I'm just glad I got it right! What a cutie. First grade, here she comes!






These younger sisters were sure going to miss having Millie around!



Abby came to our beauty parlor too to get her hair done special for the first day of school. Good thing mommy loves doing hair!



Grace started back in September at Miss Kristi's Oceans of learning. That was a long-awaited day for this preschooler. She loves her friends, teacher, and school. And this time, it was Claire who had to say good-bye to her playmate.



Luckily, Claire started joyschool in the fall as well. One day a week is not nearly enough for her. She anxiously counts down the days each week until Thursday. She just wants a play date every day--oh, and it has to be at someone else's house. That's not easy for a mother to arrange. Thankfully, we have neighbors she can visit regularly.



Mommy headed back to school in the fall as well. I didn't think to take a picture of me as I hurried out the door to my first class. This was my third semester to teach at the BYU Salt Lake Center for continued education (downtown, triad center). I told about it in more detail on my other blog.
Fall semester, I taught "Strengthening Marriage and Family" (a.k.a. the proclamation class). I had my biggest class yet with 20 students. We used a new textbook, so I learned a lot right along with them. I loved teaching. I learned so much from my students, and made so many friends who I admire. It's such a rejuvenating thing for me. I come home each week with a greater love for my children, and a deeper gratitude for my husband. I find something each week that we can improve upon in our family life. I enjoy the built-in break, that stay-at-home mommies need but seldom get. However, it takes a toll on our family as well. It eats away all my extra time and energy,  and places a burden on my chest that isn't gone until I've turned in the final grades. I was a bit relieved in January to find out I have a break this semester.

Paul was so supportive in this endeavor. He helped me find time to prepare for each class, talk about my lessons topics, and make it out the door to class with everything I needed on Tuesdays. He helped the girls have a fun Daddy night while I taught, and although his work wasn't easy, he welcomed me home each time with a smile and a kiss and listening ears to hear all about how class went. I could not have made it through the semester without his support and sacrifice. I know my turn is coming soon to support Paul when he heads back to school. I'm grateful for his example to follow. Education is so important to us.

Here's a picture of a fort that was made during one "daddy's night"



1 comment:

Angie Williams said...

I love reading your blogs, Jen! I just discovered your parenting blog, and I remember you telling me about it when you used to be my visiting teacher. When I think about having children someday, I think about what great parents you and Paul are. I really look up to you two more than you know.

Your girls are DARLING, and I miss seeing them! I can't believe how big Claire is getting, and we've never met sweet little Ivie, but she is beautiful. You guys are such great examples, and we miss being around you. Hope all is well!